Photo by Taylor Anderson.
Artwork may not include protected health information. Submissions that include PHI will not be accepted. Review HIPAA guidelines here.
We accept diverse works of art. These may include, but are not limited to visual artwork, literature, poetry, photography, music, and multimedia. These pieces are intended to be an outlet for student expression and reflection. Both medically and non-medically related submissions will be considered.
We accept only original, unpublished works. We accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know immediately if your submission is accepted elsewhere. Aerial is not responsible for plagiarism committed by the individual who has submitted stolen or copied work.
Students can submit up to three (3) creative pieces of varying genres/mediums per issue. For example, you could submit a) three poems or b) a poem, a short story, and a photograph — but no more than three works per issue.
When submitting multiple selections, each submission must be made separately. Do not include three separate works in one email. To clarify, this means you will have to go through the submission process more than once.
With your submission, you agree to grant Aerial nonexclusive first publishing rights and nonexclusive first electronic publishing rights. This means that we get to publish your story first online. Once published by Aerial, it will be yours to publish anywhere else. You will also be granting us the right to publish again in our print magazine.
With your submission, you allow Aerial editorial staff to make reasonable corrections without consultation. We will never alter your voice or your content, but we do utilize a style guide, and sometimes typos happen. We are unable to consult with all contributors about most of the changes made by our editors.
Once submitted, we will consider your work the "final draft." If you have any corrections or changes, these will be considered only after your work is accepted.
Types of Submissions:
1. Submissions should not exceed 100 lines in length.
2. Acceptable file types are .DOC, .DOCX, and .PDF.
3. Please do not submit collections of poetry as one submission.
1. Submissions should not exceed 2,000 words in combined length.
2. We accept fiction and nonfiction. Excerpts from longer works are fair game, but please make that distinction clear during the submission process.
3. Acceptable file types are .DOC, .DOCX, and .PDF.
1. We accept drawings, prints, illustrations, photography, paintings, graphic design/digital artwork, and multimedia.
2. For each work, please make sure that all files are high resolution (minimum 300 dpi).
3. Acceptable file types are .JPG, .PNG, and .PDF.
4. Please include any specifications, captions, and/or other information you would like to publish with the piece in your cover letter.
1. Audio and video submissions should not exceed 20 minutes in length.
2. Acceptable file types are .mp3, .mp4, .wav, .mov, .avi, .flv.
3. We do not accept website links or media hosted by a 3rd party.
1. If your work does not fit into a category, worry not! We are still interested! Send it our way and we will consider it for publishing.
All viewpoints expressed represent those of the students involved in the making of Aerial Magazine. We are not
endorsed by or in any way officially connected with Oregon Health and Science University, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.